17 July 2007

Facebook + librarians = ???

I just read an interesting post about librarians in Facebook at User's Lib. From a small, informal poll done on Facebook, it turns out that a majority of students prefer interacting with librarians face-to-face, rather than via Facebook.

This doesn't surprise me necessarily. To me, Facebook seems like students' domain...where they go to interact informally (ie, hook up & swap compromising photos of one another at parties). It seems hard for me to believe that a student would be IMing with some guy from her chem class and then SUDDENLY REALIZE that she should also contact a librarian about tracking down some scholarly articles.

That said, I did meet an int'l studies librarian at ALA who said that he gets a lot of interaction with students in his department via Facebook and feels like he is more "trusted" now that he has a presence there.

I can't seem to remember to check my Facebook account regularly...it seems outside of my normal everyday existence.

No comments: